Profile of Turkey’s Youth

The Prime Ministry’s General Directorate for Family and Social Research has announced its findings from a longitudinal study of Turkish adolescents from 2008 to 2010 [“Adolescent Profile in Turkey”; the 2008 study is here (thanks, Emre). Click here for a news account]. Only 50.8 percent of survey respondents reported having friends of both sexes. The ratio of respondents who did not approve of friendship between opposite sexes was 22 percent, while 78 percent supported such friendships. When asked about intercourse before marriage, the majority was against the practice. Fully 85.3 percent of teenagers reported that they did not believe in premarital sex; the remaining 14.7 percent reported that they did not view premarital sex as a problem.

When teenagers have a problem, 44.2 percent consult their mothers, 20 percent talk to their friends, 9 percent open up to their fathers and 6.1 percent talk to no one….

30 percent of adolescents … stated they had an “idol”… Nearly the entire list consisted of singers and football players, with politicians, scientists and writers at the bottom. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic, was below popular singer Gökhan Özen and all-girl pop band Grup Hepsi.

Other statistics:

The average life span in Turkey has risen from 70.9 years to 73.7 years between 2003 and 2009. The average lifespan of a Turkish woman increased from 73.4 to 76.1 years while the numbers for men rose from 68.6 to 71.5.

Between 2003 and 2009, infant mortality rate decreased from 25.6 to 20.5 per 1,000 live births.

Education statistics: attendance for the first eight grades was 91 percent in school year 2002/2003, increased to 96.5 percent in 2008/2009. High school attendance was 50.4 percent in 2002/2003, increased to 58.5 percent in 2008/2009.  Postsecondary education rose from 14.7 percent in 2002/2003 to 27.7 percent in 2009.

12 Responses to “Profile of Turkey’s Youth”

  1. Türkiye’de Ergen Profili

  2. And here start the culture clash with European countries.
    But what about this insanity:
    http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/17038522.asp

  3. That’s why I’m against veiling; it shifts the burden of not getting harassment on the woman. Dressing immodestly is considered incitement.

  4. That’s why I’m against veiling; it shifts the burden of not getting harassed on the woman. Dressing immodestly is considered incitement.

  5. Only 50.8 percent of survey respondents reported having friends of both sexes.

     
    Could there really be that many hermaphrodites in TR?

  6. That’s why I’m against veiling; it shifts the burden of not getting harassed on the woman. Dressing immodestly is considered incitement.

     
    It’s easy to get idealistic and ideological on this subject; but my personal (and, necessarily anecdotal) observations tell me that it is overwhelmingly the women that put the burden of getting harassed on the woman.
     
    While the degree does vary with culture and prosperity levels, I have always been surprised how harshly women treat other women –just observe any mother who has a son.

  7. What do European or American women who travel to Turkey think about the huge naked pictures on the Turkish press? What do you think Jenny?

    This is from the web-page of a Turkish newspaper: http://www.aksam.com.tr/bu-aksamin-guzeli–12107h.html
    Here is another one: http://kelebekgaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/GaleriDetay.aspx?cid=32110&p=1&rid=2369&hid=13668298

    Okay we do not like that “narrow minded” man. But what about men working on the Turkish newspapers searching on the internet naked picture of ladies to publish them or put them online. I think Turkish people both religious and “modern” are all insane:)

    P.S.Culture clash with Europe?:) Hans you are welcome to go back to your peaceful country to feel modernity every second without being exposed to Turkish backwardness :) BUT I know there are more important things than conflict of civilizations. Like making money out of Turkey:) Right?

  8. @Mehmet dont be so Self congratulary
    Turkey makes money out of me.)
    About the women ‘n your newspapers? Terrible choice and taste.

  9. On reflection, I think the newspapers focused on a trivial point. Look at the other statistics Jenny listed, after the quotation. They are notable achievements. Once again, though, I have to complain about the presentation. This data is begging to be visualized in a historical context.

  10. Hans,

    Turkey makes money out of me.)

    Istanbul’s coffee parlors would go out of business if it weren’t for you; right? :)

  11. CA: I don’t drink coffee /bad for my temper), but Star’buck’ and Caffee Nero serve excellent Orange Juice..)

  12. Hans,
    .
    Are you saying that TR makes money out of you because you drink a lot of orange juice? ;)

Discussion Area - Leave a Comment